Responsibilities of Audit and Performance Scrutiny
- To fulfil Audit functions the Committee will:
- Approve (but, not direct) internal audit’s
strategy, plan and performance
- Review summary Internal Audit reports and
the main issues arising, and seek assurance that action has been
taken where necessary.
- Consider the reports of external audit and inspection
- Consider the effectiveness of the Council’s risk management
arrangements, the control environment and associated anti-fraud and
anti-corruption arrangements. Seek assurances that action is being
taken on risk related issues identified by
auditors and inspectors.
- Be satisfied that Bassetlaw’s assurance statements, including
the Annual Governance Statement, properly reflect the risk
environment and any actions required to improve it.
- Ensure that there are effective relationships between external
and internal audit, inspection agencies and other relevant bodies,
and that the value of the audit process is actively promoted.
- Review the financial statements, external auditor’s opinion and
reports to members, and monitor management action in response to
the issues raised by external audit.
- Produce an Annual Report to be presented to full Council on its
activities during the year and how it discharged its
- To scrutinise the Council’s progress against the objectives set
out in the Council’s Corporate Plan.
- To review and operation and effectiveness of the Council’s
Performance Management Cycle, Performance Indicators,
Efficiency/Value for Money process, Council Budget and allocation
of resources and make recommendations thereon to the Cabinet and/or
- To review and scrutinise the performance of the Council in
relation to its policy objectives, performance targets and/or
particular service areas including budgets and make recommendations
to Cabinet and/or the Council arising from the outcome of the
- To question members of the Cabinet and/or Committees, Directors
and senior officers about their decisions and performance, whether
generally in comparison with service plans and targets over a
period of time, or in relation to particular decisions, initiatives
- To refer issues for more detailed scrutiny to the Overview
& Scrutiny Committee for prioritisation and allocation to a
Last Updated - 28/09/2011