Sample Organisation

Home Page > Benefits > Backdated Benefit
Homepage | About Us | Benefits | Business | Community and Living | Council, Cabinet and Committees | Council Tax and Business Rates | Education and Learning | Environment | Health and Social Care | Housing | Jobs and Careers | Land Charges and In My Area (GIS) | Legal and Licensing | Planning and Building | Sports, Leisure and Culture | Transport and Streets
Backdated Benefit
Bedroom Entitlement Calculator
Benefits Calculator
Benefit Fraud
Benefits Useful Links
Changes in Circumstances
Contact Benefits
Council Tax Reduction
Dealing with Debt
Discretionary Housing Payments
Forms and Leaflet to Download
Housing Benefit
How to Appeal against a decision
How to claim Housing Benefit & Council Tax Reduction
Information for Landlords
Local Housing Allowance
Benefits Sitemap
Benefits frequently asked questions
Welfare Reform

If there has been a reason which stopped or delayed you applying for Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit prior to 1st April 2013 or Council tax Reduction, you can ask for your claim to be 'backdated' so that it starts from an earlier date.


From April 2013, backdating of Council Tax Reduction is no longer available for people of working age, but you can still apply for backdating of Housing Benefit.

The Start Date of Your Benefit Claim

Under Benefit law your claim for benefit must be made in writing, or on an electronic claim form via a website. Normally we will start your claim from the Monday after the first point of contact,even if this is a letter or phone call. It is therefore very important that you get your application form and evidence to us as soon as possible because it affects the date your benefit claim will start from. If we send you an application form we will allow you 4 weeks to complete and return it. If you take longer than four weeks to return the form any entitlement would start from the date we receive the form unless there are exceptional circumstances.


There are other special rules about Housing Benefit on two homes and overlapping liability to pay rent when you move house and the "double rent" is unavoidable.


The Rules on Backdating Benefit

You can currently ask for a backdate of benefits if there is a reason why you were unable to apply for your benefit earlier. If you disagree with the date your claim starts from for any other reason you can appeal against the decision. For information on how to appeal go to our "How to Appeal" page.


In order for a backdate of  Benefit to be allowed you will have to show 'good cause' why you did not apply earlier. There is no formal definition of 'good cause', each case will be decided according to its own individual situation. The maximum period that a benefit claim can be backdated  is six months for working-age claimants and three months for people of pension age. This period would start from the date we receive the backdate request.


Return to Graphics Mode